The Exhibition Site
In 1904 Britain and France signed the Entente Cordiale, heralding a century of peace between the two countries. To mark this historic agreement they planned the Franco-British Exhibition. It lasted from May to October 1908. The Olympic Games took place in the stadium, built within the exhibition site, in July.
View from the flip flap
140 acres of scrubland in Shepherd’s Bush were turned into a magical city. All the buildings were painted white and the area became know as the Great White City. It was visited by over 8 million people and became, for a short while, one of Britain’s favourite holiday destinations.
Getting to the Exhibition
The entrances to the exhibition were on Shepherd’s Bush Green and Wood Lane. Two new underground stations (Metropolitain and Central Lines) were built, especially for the Exhibition, on Wood Lane.
The Shepherd’s Bush Green arch was the last remaining architectural feature of the Great White City. It was demolished in 2003.
via The Great White City.