Site Name: Wood Lane Station (Central Line)
Wood Lane (Junction with Ariel Way)
OS Grid Ref: TQ234804
Sub Brit site visit April 1968, February 1980 & February 1986
[Source: Nick Catford]
THE CENTRAL LONDON RAILWAY OPENS
The Central London Railway was incorporated in 1891 as a line between Shepherd’s Bush and Cornhill, but a further Act in 1892 authorised an alternative terminus at Bank with a later extension to Liverpool Street. The time for completion had to be extended twice, first to 1894 but with work not starting until April 1896 this was further extended to 1899.
Due to ongoing negotiations with the Great Eastern about the siting of the Liverpool Street terminus, work on the twin track tunnels was concentrated between Shepherds Bush and Bank. At Shepherds Bush, the eastbound track continued for a short distance to a reversing siding while the westbound track came to the surface on a steeply graded curving track to reach the
company’s new depot, repair shops and power station on a 20 acre site at Wood Lane. The depot was also served by a single track spur from the West London Railway which was used to bring coal to the power station.
The line was formally opened by the Prince of Wales with a ceremony at Bank Station on 27th June 1900, a month before public traffic began to use the railway on 30th July.